Tailgating equals football, friends and FOOD. While the first two are great, the third can throw a wrench in your healthy eating progress. Thankfully, there are many tasty snacks that are healthy, too, so you don’t have to stick to salad and water on game day.
- Choose thin crust pizza instead of thick crust pizza. Less bread means fewer empty calories that fill you up temporarily, but are devoid of nutrition.
- Wrap hamburgers in lettuce leaves and ditch the buns. Each bun you skip saves 100 or more empty calories.
- Trade potato or tortilla chips for snap peas. Snap peas have the crunch you crave without the trans-fats that come with frying.
- Swap hot wings for buffalo cauliflower (yes, it’s a thing, and it’s delicious). Thisrecipe from Rachael Rayomits the grease and gives you the spice and texture you crave.
- Grill seasoned Portobello mushroom caps instead of burgers. Savory, juicy and delicious- everything you’d get in a burger for an eighth of the calories!
Bonus swap: Drink a glass of water between beers or pops to feel fuller, save calories and stay hydrated as you enjoy the game.
Do you have other strategies to save calories on game day? Tweet your ideas to @CareProHS, or email them to us at email@example.com.