Tailgating equals football, friends and FOOD. While the first two are great, the third can throw a wrench in your healthy eating progress. Thankfully, there are many tasty snacks that are healthy, too, so you don’t have to stick to salad and water on game day.
- Choose thin crust pizza instead of thick crust pizza. Less bread means fewer empty calories that fill you up temporarily, but are devoid of nutrition.
- Wrap hamburgers in lettuce leaves and ditch the buns. Each bun you skip saves 100 or more empty calories.
- Trade potato or tortilla chips for snap peas. Snap peas have the crunch you crave without the trans-fats that come with frying.
- Swap hot wings for buffalo cauliflower (yes, it’s a thing, and it’s delicious). Thisrecipe from Rachael Rayomits the grease and gives you the spice and texture you crave.
- Grill seasoned Portobello mushroom caps instead of burgers. Savory, juicy and delicious- everything you’d get in a burger for an eighth of the calories!
Bonus swap: Drink a glass of water between beers or pops to feel fuller, save calories and stay hydrated as you enjoy the game.