Q and A with Nancy Greif: Insurance coverage FAQs

Posted on: April 25th, 2011 by sdavis

Nancy Greif is a reimbursement specialist for CarePro Home Infusion.

Reimbursement specialist Nancy Greif has over 22 years of experience under her belt. If you have a question about insurance coverage or reimbursement, we can almost guarantee that Nancy will have an answer.

What home infusion services does Medicare cover?

While they do have guidelines to determine whether or not a patient is eligible to receive services, they will cover TPN, enteral (tube-feeding) services, cardiac medications, deferoxamine, anti-fungal and anti-viral medications.

Is there Medicare coverage for IV antibiotics?
There is no coverage through Medicare B. If a patient has Medicare B, we can help research other methods of payment. Medicare D can help cover IV antibiotics, and so can Iowa Medicaid or secondary insurance policies. We can also help develop a private pay quote, if none of these routes offer coverage.

What’s the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

The main difference is coverage and the guidelines for qualifying for coverage. Medicaid will cover supplies and equipment, which Medicare will not. Medicaid also has less stringent guidelines for qualifying. For example, if a patient needs tube-feeding, if they are on Medicare, it’s a lot harder to qualify. They must need it for at least three months, and they must require it for more than half of their daily caloric intake. However, Medicaid’s standards are a little more lax.

For more information on CarePro Home Infusion services, visit www.careprohs.com/home-care/infusion.

Comments are closed.